The Microbiology Department was established in the year 1992 with a single laboratory. Now it has three well spacious and separate laboratories for each year course. The laboratories are well equipped with all infrastructure facilities provided to the students. The Department subscribes journals of national and international repute for research scholars, staff and students of the college and other affiliated colleges. There is a huge collection of text books and encyclopaedias on Microbiology, Biotechnology and Biochemistry and other allied sciences. It has added a new feather in its cap by introducing from this session a UGC sponsored innovative course in emerging areas of Environmental Biotechnology. The students are regularly oriented by the visiting faculties of some renowned institutions like Central Institute of Cotton Research, National Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, Central India Institute of Medical Sciences, Nagpur.
Major Instruments and Equipments available
- U.V. Spectrophotometer
- Atomic Adsorption Spectrophotometer
- In-situ fermenter
- Orbital Shaking Incubators
- Fluorimeter and Lux Meters
- PCR Machine
- Phase Contrast Microscope
- UV Microscope
- Gel Electrophoresis Systems
- Anaerobic Gas Pack Systems
The research carried out in the Department is focussed on following themes.
- Bioremediation and bioreclamation processing to degrade pesticides and insecticides.
- Biosurfactant production using distillery waste and combination of other wastes
- Investigations on food borne illness causing microorganisms.
Recently, the implementing agency Gorewada International Zoo Project, Nagpur has entrusted the Department for carrying out the investigation on “Studies on Development of Nutritive Rhizosphere at Gorewada Forests and Reservoir, Nagpur by using Biotechnological Process of Soil Augmentation”.
Workshops / Seminars organised in last five years:
- UGC sponsored National Seminar on, “Biotechnological Approaches in a Cleaner Environment” on 13th March, 2008.
Guest Lectures in 2007-2008
||Title of the project
Dr. H. F. Daginawala,Senior Consultant in Biochemistry,
Central India Institute of Medical Sciences, Nagpur.
Gene and Protein Synthesis.
Dr. Saibal Biswas,Vice Principal, r. Ambedkar College, Nagpur.
Isotopic Tracer Technique
||Dr. C. B. Powar, Rtd. Principal Sindhu Mahavidyalaya, Nagpur
Immune Response Effector Mechanisms
Dr. Saibal Biswas,Vice Principal,
Dr. Ambedkar College, Nagpur.
Principles of Chromatography
- Highlights :
- An Innovative P.G. Diploma Course in Emerging Areas of Environmental Biotechnology has been introduced from this academic session 2008-2009.
- Dr. Prabhakar R. Bhandari has received Minor Research Project on “Impact of Pesticide and Insecticide on Microbial Status of Chilli Fields at Bhiwapur, District Nagpur.
- Dr. Mrs. Kirti V. Dubey has received Major Research Project from University Grants Commission, New Delhi on “Biosurfactant Production using distillery waste and combination of other waste”
- Dr. Girish L. Bhoosreddy is guiding one research fellow for his Ph.D. He is also a Course Co-ordinator of UGC Scheme for Coaching of SC/ST students for Entry into Services. He is also a Co-ordinator of the UGC Innovative Course entitled, “Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Biotechnology”.
Dr. Prabhakar R. Bhandari
Mobile No. : +91-94221-20447
Email : email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org